Wednesday, October 18, 2006

So roller derby ended on a high note. The Heartless Heathers ended up winning the championship in a nail bitter of a match against the Guns N Rollers. My favorite team, The Break Neck Betties, came in third and the High Rollers finished last. You can check out the standings at the Rose City Rollers webpage.
I wish the Betties had done better but they skated some really good matches. Next season I think they’re really going to shine. You can imagine how much fun I had cheering for them in their final match of the season. There’s just one thing. I didn’t cheer for them. I cheered for the High Rollers.
Now you may be asking, “What’s your ass worth if you turn on your favorite team at the end of the season?”
In my defense there were several extenuating circumstances. First, one of my friends, Farah Loathing (yeah, I'm dropping names), made the High Rollers. She’s a hell of a skater and locked up skaters who were twice her size (cough D. Konstructor cough). Second, she got me tickets. Roller derby tickets will pretty much win my loyalty 9 times out oft 10.
You may dismiss this as my friend Miss A. did and say I’ll chase anything thing in a pair of sweaty fishnets and roller skates. I would argue that’s not the case. I’m not chasing this particular roller girl and Farah Loathing is quite a bit more than a pair of hot legs in fishnets and roller skates.
With this double whammy of High Roller goodness I figured I could swallow it and just cheer for the High Rollers, and how often would they be playing the Betties anyway. It won’t be long before I was back chanting “Break Their Necks! Break Their Necks!”
So I went to the match and happily cheered for the High Rollers. I even bought a T Shirt. They did a hell of a job and I was sorry to see them lose but thankfully if someone had to win it was the Betties.
I’ve heard through some grape vines that there may be some shuffling of players and that the High Rollers are going to be a different team next year. I also heard I might not have this conflict with the High Rollers and the Betties next year.

I can’t tell you how excited I am for next season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home