Friday, September 08, 2006

This is one of those things that I’m not real proud of. I lost someone’s cat. I was checking out Craig’s List for someone to split gas from New Orleans to Austin and ended up giving someone’s cat a ride. When I got to Austin it was late so I put the cat up and went to sleep. When I woke up the cat was gone.
The cat got away into a yard that is full of bamboo groves in a neighborhood where people regularly leave food out for cats. This cat has no reason to come back to the house of the mean guy who locked it in a cage and then stuck it in a car and drove for 9 hours.
I called the owner and told him what was going on and he freaked out and called all these other people who showed up at my friends house and conducted a search party. I personally didn’t think it would do much good b/c the cat is kind of pissed at people right now and is not likely to come just b/c a bunch of people are out calling its name.
My genius idea was to leave food around and let the cat come to me. When I woke up in the morning the raccoons had taken the food, and the food bowls. There’s no chance in hell the cat is going to show up and duke it out with some fat ass raccoon to come back to some house he doesn’t even want to be at in the first place.
Anyway I feel really bad but I’ve learned a lesson. Anyone who will pay to have a cat driven across two states is probably too crazy to really deal with. The guy is upset about the cat but it was a Katrina rescue cat, it’s not like it was his pet. Still he won’t stop calling and organizing search parties. It’s annoying. The cat will do what the cat will do. Anyone who deals with cats knows that’s true.

2 Comments:

Blogger zack said...

First off, cats are disposable. I have that on good authority. You can ask my mother, who has had like 90 cats in her life. She will tell you that cats are disposable.

Secondly, the guy who paid you to drive the cat to Austin, did 1) have the duty to conform his conduct to the specific standard of reasonable car, to whit, not paying a stranger to drive a cat to another city, and 2) exhibited conduct failing to conform to the standard, and 3) exhibited conduct that was the factual cause of injuries, i.e. the loss of that cat, to the intended recipient, and 4) exhibited conduct that was the legal cause of these injuries, and 5) led to the actual damages to the recipient of the cat, that is, the loss of the cat.

You have a prima facie case for a cause of action for negligence. I say sue.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cats, unlike dogs, don't have a good olfactory system that allows them to find their way back to where they belong. They get turned around easily, especially if in distress. Don't expect him to come back. If he's not dead already, it's unlikely that he will return, even if he knew how. Should I feel bad that I find this very funny?

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home