Thursday, December 30, 2004

Tamales versus Chicos

I've got a reputation among my family for being able to eat a lot. I ate 7 double orders of Chico's once. It's stuck with them ever since. I flew down to El Paso two years ago for 4th of July b/c it was Chico's 50th Anniversary. I've got T shirts from the 50th and 45th anniversaries. I can, and usually do, eat anything offered from a street cart in Juarez. I'll hit every cart on the main street. I'll also eat a lot of chiles rellenos at the mercado afterwards. They see me as a kind of Mexican food disposal system.
I didn't make it to Chico's more than once on this trip. My family felt bad for me so they all gave me extra tamales. They all did it spontaneously so I ended up with about 6 dozen tamales. At the last dinner before I left everyone was talking about going to one of my aunt's houses and my cousin Tiny asked if there were any tamales left. My Tio Jorge said "There's no tamales left. They're all in Antonio's luggage". And they were.
Yesterday I was talking to my friend in Corpus and she asked me if I was tamaled out yet. I've eaten about 6 a day since Xmas and I probably had about 20 then. I think I have two dozen left. I might be, but it might just be that this dozen is a little bland. I'll keep plugging away.
As I eat the tamales, menudo, juevos con chorizo, carnitas, churros, marenitas, conchas, and carne asada I've noticed that my fat man pants are becoming kind of tight. I've always been one of those people who can eat anything they want and just get fat as hell, but when your fat man pants don't fit it's kind of disgusting. When I get back to Portland I'm going to live off of coffee and walk around a lot.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am in awe of your ability to throw down the double orders at chico's!!!! i can barely eat one double order and one hot dog without feeling like i will burst! i keep doing it, though. ummmmm.....i want chico's right now!!! :) :) :)

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps. i see you wrote this on dec 30, 2004--that's my birthday, and i ate chico's that day!!! ;)~~~

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home