Friday, December 17, 2004

Student Loans

My student loan company sent me a birthday card. I don't know what to make of it. Generally they send me statements with big scary numbers on them. These numbers have some kind or relationship to my future paycheck. I don't understand, but if you know what's good for you then you don't try too hard to understand.
Sometimes in the past they've sent me scary letters with phrases like "amount due on 12/4/2001" or "past due". The kind of low grade threats of these letters and the statements I understand. They serve a purpose. They motivate me to pay them so that I don't wind up with concrete shoes in the willamette.
The birthday card I don't get. Is this some kind of threat? Are they saying they know some stuff about me, so don't try to run. Or is it a tactic to make my life unbearable. Are they trying to link my birthday with student loans, like little Alex and Beethoven's 5th? Will the next step link Chile Verde and student loans? Will they continue until every last thing I enjoy and hold dear is tainted by student loan? Is the student loan company carrying on a psychological war against me? If I start getting cards in my six packs then I'll know.

4 Comments:

Blogger La Madre said...

I have yet to open one of my student loan letters. They scare me to much. Instead I collect them one day I'll open them.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Biff Loman said...

I open one of those letters once. I haven't slept comfortably since. (Man, ten years of graduate student loans do add up.)

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! and all i have to say is "blast the student loans"

sonia

9:45 PM  
Blogger LadyVader said...

While I don't recommend IGNORING the student loans...well, you will pay them off. It'll take years, but you'll manage. Or at least that's what everyone keeps telling me.

3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home