Sunday, August 01, 2004

Rant

I went to see the Reigning Sound last night. I had been looking forward to this for two years. This was going to be my first chance to see them and I was excited. The tickets said doors at nine and the Reigning Sound were the openers. We got there at ten and figured we'd be safe. After passing through security and stopping by the bar we ran into a friend and she told us we missed the Reigning Sound. I thought she was joking, but she wasn't. We actually missed the Sahara Hot Nights too.
Now goddamnit, there are fucking rules to being a rock n roll rebel. The first one is that you do not start a show before ten o'clock. That is bullshit. If you begin having shows start at 9 pm, you start having shows over before 2:30. What the hell are you supposed to do in the time between when the last band plays and the after party starts? You might as well just go to another bar. And if you're just going out to a bar why even have a frickin' show. I want a band to rock so hard that I stumble out of the venue exhausted, head home, drink a beer and pass out with my chuck taylors still on.
Man, I'm still so angry about this. I think they started that early so the kids could make it home before curfew. In Austin, a town that understands rock n' roll and doesn't give a crap what time the kiddies curfew is over at, no one ever took the stage before 11pm. No one was even awake at 9pm. We were just getting up from the last bout of wild RAWK! MAYHEM! At 9pm we'd get our cup of coffee, pack of smokes, sneer purposefully and then head to the bar to meet people to go to the show. And as for the kids and their curfew, they should freakin' miss curfew. They should have to sneak home through back alleys and seedy parts of the city to get home from the rock n roll show, which should have been the same way they got there. Having your dad drop you off is no good. If you're allowed to go to the rock n roll show you might as well be going to the church youth social. This is about drinkin' cherry flavor rotgut vodka that you shoulder tapped a bum for out of a plastic pint bottle, throwin' up on your shoes and then walkin'/crawlin' two miles home.
So anyway, I freakin' missed the Reigning Sound. I might try to go see them in Vegas. I'm thought I was ready to talk about this...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home