Saturday, July 24, 2004

Plastic Bertrand

I've been listening to Plastic Bertrand's "Ca Plane Por Moi" a lot lately. I've been listening to Thee Headcoatees' version and heard a version by Leila K. The Leila K version is garbage.
Anyway, I got to wondering what the lyrics meant. I found about ten pages translating the lyrics. The best are here, here, and here. I even found a page on google in the original French and used the google "translate this page" feature and got the best one yet. So after reading several translations and not really finding any of them confirming the other I wondered how I could find out the true meaning of the song without learning French myself.
I lucked out. There was a young lady with an accent at the pub last night. I asked her where she was from and she told me she was from Montreal. I jumped up and ran out to my car and got my burnie with Ca Plane Por Moi on it and demanded she translate. She asked me if people in this country really listened to that song. I said, "Only in so far as I'm considered people." She nodded knowingly and then translated the song for me, sort of. She said a few words here and there and then said that it wouldn't make sense to an American but it's about a hangover. How in the freakin' name of Evan Williams would an American not understand a song about a hangover? I guess by singing it in French.
I'm happy to know the song's about a hangover, but now it's even more important that I know what the words are so I can compare it with the Motards song "Hangover"

1 Comments:

Blogger La Madre said...

It isn't so much not understanding a hangover, but the idioms. Try singing about being 'crudo' and expalining the 'rawness'...

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home