Saturday, July 31, 2004

Neglectful

I haven't been all that busy so I can't really justify not posting all week. I was just lazy. The cogs at school are starting to lurch awake and I got some paperwork for a job fair thing in Seattle. It was due on Friday and I signed up. I have one big problem with the career fairs. I don't want to be a big firm lawyer. It's not my goal, it doesn't sound like fun, it doesn't sound rewarding. The stuff I'm interested in, which tends to be more plaintiff oriented, doesn't really seem to show up at the fairs.
I scanned about thirty law firm websites to see which firms I'm interested in interviewing for, none of them will probably take me but anyway, it seems they all said the same thing. Every law firm now has an employment division, a IP division, a Life Science/Biotech division, corporate tax. They all seemed really cookie cutter. Almost none of them did any civil rights stuff and only one did plaintiff stuff.
One of the more daunting aspects of law school is how homogenizing it is. There's this big firm corporate agenda and all these kids who are really smart and fairly liberal are buying into it. They hate Halliburton, but they would happily jump on board at the firm who represents them. I'm not a big huge freakin' individual, but I like to set my own agenda and I've got my own set of values. Most of those values don't register in the law field circle and are in opposition of the big firm stuff.
The school pushes the public interest stuff to appeal to people like me. But once again I'm not some bleeding heart hippie. I want to make sure people who work get paid, people who get jerked around by the cops get a piece of justice and the cops get pulled back into line. I want to get bad doctors out of practice and when Halliburton overcharges the government a billion bucks I want them to pay. I don't want to save the environment, end poverty, uphold peace and love, or anything else.
I want to work hard, for people that deserve and need the help. Those people don't ever seem to be considered outside of some hypo in Torts and in some hugely oversimplified black or white style analysis. Tort suits raise costs for everyone/ Corporations are evil and people need to be protected. It's more complicated than that. I want a paycheck that's decent without becoming some some greasy corporate lawyer or chasing ambulances. I know that's possible, people do it. There's just not the same kind of guidance at school as there are for the other things. It bugs me, especially when I'm writing the school a check.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home