Saturday, July 17, 2004

Equipment Geeks

 Ooh! There's a new toolbar on blogger.  I might get funky later and do some E.E. Cummings in lower case fucshia or something.  I preface this with the fact that I drank a good amount of Pabst and Evan Williams whiskey so this will probably need editing in the morning.
 Anyway, I went and saw The Minds  again.  I like seeing bands several times, not just because I like them, but because different venues and soundmen highlight different sounds.  It helps you understand the decisions the band makes in the studio.
 There were some good opening bands that deserve notice.  A band called The Marked Men played.  They were evocative of Teengenerate on the "Wild Wild" seven inch.  Especially the cover of "Do You Wanna Know" originally by The Kids, of Belgium.  I know that's a totally wankery reference but if I could think of something better I would.  It mixes solid Rock N Roll sensibilities with nostalgic guitar riffs and a touch of the energy that Scared of Chaka had.  Buy their stuff.
  As I was standing there listening to The Marked Men there were these equipment nerds standing next to me.  I don't hate equipment nerds, generally I hold them in very high regard and buy their records, but when they talk through a set and dis a band I don't dig it.  They didn't like the treble of the guitarist's Rick, that's fine but fuck off and don't talk about it through the whole set.  One had the model year after the rhythm guitarists Gibson, and on and on it went.  Talking about equipment is important, I even agree that sometimes a Rick can wobble too much, but don't do it loudly during a band's set.  And if you're an equipment nerd, and your band doesn't get shows, don't demean another band that has a packed show. Sometimes they're more savy equipment nerds than you.  Take notes.
 The other band of note was Electric Eye.  I bought their CD awhile ago.  It was rockin' but it didn't grab me.  The lead singer used to be in Society of Friends, who I'll maintain till death were the greatest live powerviolence band ever.  The set rocked and I'm going to listen to their CD again tomorrow.  Sometimes a live show will ground you so that you can really understand a record.  I look forward to it.
Rock On.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home