Thursday, February 23, 2006

I was on the bus the other day and I have some basic bus etiquette rules. I give up my seat for old people, people with kids, people with lots of groceries or stuff to haul, and women. This is partially b/c I'm a freakin' gentleman and partially b/c I don't fit in the stupid bus seats anyway.
I'm in my seat and this transvestite gets on the bus and I instantly get up and offer him my seat. Now there's no transvestite category in that paragraph up there. I had just got my coffee and didn't have time to drink it yet. I think my brain didn't quite put together that just b/c the dude had women's clothing on he wasn't a woman.
Now I'm wondering if it's rude to do that. I thought transvestites just liked to dress like women. Do they want doors and stuff opened for them too? Do I have to stand up every time a transvestite leaves the dinner table? Why would I be having dinner with a transvestite in the first place? Should I email Emily Post about this? Is Emily Post still alive?
I think next time I'll keep my seat and see if anyone else gives up their seat or if the transvestite looks around with a frown b/c no one gave up their seat. I'll take my cues from the other bus passengers.
Modern living is complicated.

4 Comments:

Blogger Daily Texican said...

You are quite the gentleman. That's hillarious.

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i *am* a woman, and when *I* dress like a lady when i go out with the boyfriend, he won't even open the door for *me*.

my point being: good job! there's no point in dressing like a lady if you're not gonna be treated like one.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I" am also a woman and when you see me coming... please don't offer me your seat...chivalry is dead for good reason---> you better watch out or I might just open the door for you!

7:15 PM  
Blogger La Madre said...

You are a gentleman and win kudos with me.
Here is thing the though "transvestites" are usually people who dress in clothing sterotypically used by the opposite gender. This does not mean they want to be the opposite gender or that they are are gay. Transvestites are also often not seen in public dressed as the opposite gender.
If you see someone in public "cross dressing" this usually means they are transgendered. This means they identify as a sex that does not match their phyiscal biology.
Anyway the person you saw was most likely not a transvestite but transgendered and you probably made their day. You deserve a big expensive coffee from your favorite local cafe.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home