Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Back To School

I tried to post yesterday but blogger was messing with me, or else it was my internet connection b/c I couldn't get on myspace either.
Anyway, yesterday, as I thought about starting classes today, I momentarily began my semesterly ritual. I began thinking, "This semester will be different, I'm gonna read, I'm gonna write my own outlines, I'm gonna be a great student."
The second I started thinking this I realized the hypocrisy of the whole thing and decided that I'm not going to do any of that. I'm going to bust my ass at work, I'm going to try and get interesting speakers panels, and I'm gonna read fun books. School be damned.
The only question left was if it would be rude to leave the plastic wrap on the one textbook I bought and if I could use old textbooks that are the same color as the textbook we're supposed to be using in the rest of my classes? I took the plastic wrap off but I'm not sure I'm buying anymore textbooks.
One of the classes I have to take is Ethics. I like ethics a lot. It was my main interest in philosophy. Professional ethics are usually pretty pathetic systematically. People who half understand some ethical theory, say Kant's categorical imperative, misapply them in some aspect of the profession and try to justify it with fancy language. I decided that I would try and keep the class practical. I know I can't date a client, but how about his Probation Officer? I can't date the clients wife, but can I wife swap with him? At the very least I should be entertained.

Quick bit of advice. "Your honor, I didn't pay for those drugs." is not a good defense at a hearing to see if your parole is gonna get revoked.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AH! The ever so, "Back to School Fake Goal List". . .i think we all do it. . .I’m usually done by the first week of classes. I always look back to that first week wondering what went wrong, "I was so caught up! What could have happened!". . .I believe our generation has perfected procrastination.

10:30 PM  
Blogger La Madre said...

put a book cover on your book, the inside will lookjust like the old edition even if the cover doesn't.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home