Tuesday, November 01, 2005

What I Learned In Court

I learned that you should let your client stand close to the table. This way if he's so drunk he can't see straight then he can support himself. I also learned that judges have a good sense of humor.
In Oregon the state changed the way it managed courts in the early 90's. Because of that switch a lot of paperwork got lost. Ocassionally a defendant will get off of a charge or not get an enhancement b/c they can't find the paperwork from before the switch. It happens frequently enough that I've already seen it a couple of times in my two weeks.
This makes me wonder about New Orleans. The amount of papework and evidence that's been lost has to be staggering. I wonder how many people are going to get their charges dismissed b/c the state can't find the original poice reports, court records, or evidence. I also wonder how many people's paroles are going to be screwed up b/c letters showing completion of community service or negative urinalysis have been destroyed.

I decided to go as a crazy cat lady for Halloween. It worked out okay. The five o clock shadow really helps me pull off a very feminine look.
I went to see The Spits last night. I was going to take my camera and post pictures. B/c I usually forget to empty the memory card or put full batteries in I doubled checked. Then I set my camera by the door so I wouldn't forget it and went to the show. Thus there are no pictures. There are two more shows this week. Lets see if I cna remember my camera even once!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you read yesterday's (Sunday's) NYT front-page articles about prisoners in Africa whose paperwork has been lost? Apparently in that case, you are then stuck in jail forever.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

too bad we only have dumb earthquakes in california, wish we had something that would free criminals... we have too many in jail, and not enough in mental institutions.... tan locos!
oh and more rehab programs...
and more education inside prisons would be better.
The last graduation was an awesome movie from DeepDishTV.org
if you're interested in prisoner education that's a good movie your library could order.

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home