Monday, October 10, 2005

Are You Ready For the Fed Courts?

Prof. Fed Courts has designated me the expert for tomorrow. That means I get to explain complicated cases and the doctrine of abstention to the class tomorrow. The only thing I'm expert at is half remembering cases from first year that are only marginally related to what we're talking about in class. Abstention also does not seem to mean the same thing it did in high school. So what would one do to prepare themselves for this experience? Read the assignment? Maybe check out Moore's federal practice? Maybe just look up the word abstention in a legal dictionary so I know what the subject is about? If you guessed any of those you're very close.
I spent the last hour trying to find out which CD's might have the track "Are You Ready For The Sex Girls" by Gleaming Spires. Do you remember that song? It's from the party scene in Revenge Of The Nerds. It's on the Revenge Of The Nerds soundtrack. I didn't know there was a soundtrack until I checked out IMDB. You may ask why I would care about that track. If you did I would stare you straight in the eye, swallow hard and say "Yeah, so have I mentioned that I can't get the stupid New York Times select crap!"
Anyway it turns out the track is also on a Rhino Records compilation called "Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits Of The 80s". Volume 3 to be exact (Does anyone esle think their website sucks and is hard to navigate? It took me like three weeks to figure out how to find "Left Of The Dial: Dispatches From The Underground 80s). It also turns out that they have that very CD at the public library. I put a hold on it and I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow. I will then be in the envious position of having made an ass out of myself in Fed Cts (Did I mention that I asked for a reference from Prof. Fed Cts just last week?) but being able to sing-a-long to "Are You Ready For The Sex Girls." (A song that I will admit has no value and influenced nothing except maybe the Gleaming Spires break up. Actually if it did influence their breakup it may have led to some of the ex Gleaming Spires members to back up the Sparks and helped them to return to a more rock influenced sound.) Man, I can feel the envy coming straight back at me through the monitor.
Now that I've taken care of my Gleaming Spires issue I guess I'll go read Fed Cts. In my defense I would like to mention that I actually did bring my Fed Cts book home in direct contravention of my "No Textbooks In The House" rule. But have I mentioned the NY Times Select thing....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Are You Ready for the Sex Girls" was also used in the movie 'Last American Virgin', and appears on a compiliation called Rodeny on the ROQ Vol. 2 (Associated with Flipside magazine, I think) alongside such popular bands as Social Distortion, Black Flag, the Minutemen, Red Cross and Agent Orange. The Gleaming Spires had a couple of radio hits in the eighties.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Antonio said...

I was aware of the Rodney On The Roq one, but I wasn't sure if it was in print or not. Manic Hispanic have a great medley on the Menudo Incident about Rodney on the Roq.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home