Tuesday, March 08, 2005

The respect to other people's tortillas is peace

One of the biggest obstacles Chicanos' face on a daily basis is cooking tortillas on electric stoves. I know it sounds really trivial but I've spent years experimenting with the stupid microwave and paper bags or wet towels. I've burned a million tortillas by sticking them in the oven and then forgetting about them. I've lit several on fire by trying to cook them directly on the electric burner and I've burnt my fingers trying to cook them on a skillet and flip them with my fingers.
Well no more. I'm a freakin' genius. I'll be hailed as the next Benito Juarez. I bought one of those things that you stick a hot pot on so it doesn't burn your countertops. I was looking at it, it's made out of cast iron, and thought "That'll fit right over the little corn tortillas sized burner on the stove." And so I cranked up the burner and threw the little pot deal-ama-thing down and cooked a nearly perfect tortilla. That's the first time that's happened since I lived at my mom's house and she had a gas stove. It was amazing.
They're not quite perfect. I always liked them with a little bit of burnt on them, which you seem to only be able to get with the gas stove. But they're close. They made an impact on my crappy chile verde which I think I'm going to try and add a bunch of jalepenos to cover up the taste. I think it's the canned chiles, it's just really bland.

1 Comments:

Blogger La Madre said...

very nice, smart man you are.

4:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home