Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Polysics!

Generally, when a guy in a red jumpsuit stands in front of me with his feet set far apart and his crotch thrust aggressively forward I try not to make eye contact. When that is unavoidable and he then announces that he will ROCK! my world I get worried and try to cross the street.
Tonight no such thing happened. A big grin spread across my face as Hayashi perched on the monitor and threw down his gauntlet. I accepted the challenge and had my world rocked. The Polysics tore the place apart. They left the 45 minute set rule violated and gasping on the floor as they marched forward with the audience pogoing.
The musicianship was amazing, they played so fast and tightly in sunglasses that were much too dark to see through that they must have been possessed by some devolved primordial new wave spirit. The energy level in the place was like a two year old ripped on sweettarts and pixie sticks. The best cover of "My Sharona" that has ever been played was ripped out at breakneck new wave synth pop speed.
Imagine Devo left some bizarrely demutated Mutato offspring behind after a tour of Japan. Imagine that spawn growing up eating only twinkie cream filling, jelly beans and nutrasweet. Then the Sino-Synth-Spazoids discovered rock n roll.
You need to go see them if they're touring in your town. If not you need to buy their records. I'm exhausted. Must sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home