Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Emo boys and beards

I saw Ted Leo tonight. It was a pretty good show but I think the soundman was high or something. He didn't get a good mix all night. The kick drum was too high and I think that kept him from getting it right. When I saw Arcade Fire there, which I specifically didn't mention b/c I didn't want to arouse your envy, they had similar feedback problems. That leads me to believe it's the positioning of the monitors or some similar stage set up problem.
Can you imagine how much fun I am at a show? "Let's stand ten feet that way." "No that's wrong, you know we're nearly positioned equidistant between the two speakers and twice that distance away. I don't know why were not getting optimum sound."
Anyway both Ted Leo's drummer and his bassist had big beards. I don't know what it is with Emo boys right now and beards, but combined with the retro eighties type fashion they look like evangelical Christians. Seriously, there was a period in the late 70's/ early 80's where the hip look among young fundies was brown corduroy pants, shirt with snaps, and a nasty big old beard. The clothes are pretty much like the station manager on WKRP In Cincinnati wore but with a beard. It's somehow emo to look like a fucking born again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home