Saturday, March 05, 2005

Committee Minutes

I've been doing a bunch of legislative research lately. I had to listen to about 7 hours of committee meeting minutes. You can stream from the State Archivist's web page which is nice. It means I don't have to go to Salem and can listen at home in my underwear while eating a healthy and satisfying bowl of ramen freakin' noodles.
The downside is that there is no way to skip around in the download and know where you're at. The downloads aren't labeled "Tape 64 Side A". That means I have to listen to the whole damn thing. When Farmer Rossini from Sandy, Oregon testifies about how a new landuse definition will affect his farm or how a statute will hinder real estate agents from putting up signs I've got to listen. My favorite is when they go on recess and leave the tape recorder on and I get to listen to 20 minutes of dead air. Eventually they get to what I'm interested in. They usually only talk about it for ten minutes. It's not very efficient.
After about 5 hours of this I started to go a little batty. My summaries weren't very useful when I reviewed them later.

I want to meet a girl that I can ask back to my place for a little wine, a little candle light, a little committee meeting minutes. Now that's romance. HB 2108 is poetry, it's like a hallmark card. It was so perfect they didn't need to amend it. Just enroll it as is, because that's how I like it.

It's the new free jazz, but more so. Those monotone droning voices, that's the real thing, that's improve. They can take a motif, intentional or knowing?, and freestyle off it until it's totally turned around. HB 1985 was extremely beat. The perfunctory manner in which it was immeadiately referred to the floor explained it all. It said, take this up and read it to everyone, this is legislation for the public. It said, I've been in this goddamned chair for 3 hours and I want to get the hell out of Salem so get this piece of crap bill out of my face. Show me another piece of paper and I'll lose bladder control.

Senate Judiciary Committee, July 12th, 2001, SB 305 - DJ State Archivist feat. Hardy Meyer's courtesy of State A.G. records and InGrid A$hbee from CDA. Between the MCs "testifyin'" and the the Senators bouncing lines off each other it's a pretty astonishing composition. There hasn't been a super group like this since Wu Tang came on the scene. The Senators break it out as fresh as "C.R.E.A.M." was in '92. The mix is a little upfront but generally good. The old dirty Ingrid lent some authenticity and the Hardy Faced Killa really broke it down. They took this mutha and amended it OG style. Referred to the floor? Hell Yeah! Read that Beyatch!

Here's the link so you can join in the fun. You need real player and I especially recommend the 2001 Senate Judiciary Committee in early may. If that's not your thing I totally understand, it's pretty cutting edge stuff, check out The Heartless Bastards. The song "New Resolution" is totally worth downloading.

1 Comments:

Blogger La Madre said...

what about bleeding some ramones with the minutes? that would be H O T

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home