Friday, February 11, 2005

Entitlement

Lexis was advertising their new contest for the semester. There's the opportunity to win triple lexis points while you're researching. The points will be awarded randomly. I took this to mean that if I have 200 points and won then I would have 600 points.
So I win triple points the other day. I pretty much live on Lexis so it's no surprise. I expect to suddenly have a huge amount of points and start imagining all the cool stuff I could buy. I notice that my points didn't triple. I logged off and back on and still no change in my points. I figure it will take a day to go through or something. When I logged on today I figured out what happened.
When they triple points they only triple the points you earned that day. So instead of 10 points I got 30. That's fine but I was hoping for the bigger point award b/c I still need 1000 points to maintain my elite status. As you all should know, Elite Status means everything to me. If I lost my Elite Status I would be like any other law student. I would no longer belong to the thousands of law students across the country who spend all their free time hooked to the goddamned lexis machine. I would be common, or start using westlaw. Obviously it would be a nightmare. Plus I want a digital camera and I need like 5,000 more points.
One other thing, I bumped into this cute woman in the hallway at work and kind of stayed in her way accidently. Back before law school when I was charming and suave with the ladies, this is before my crippling nerdification brought on by my single minded drive to maintain my elite status, I would have made some kind of witty quip and got her phone number. This time I thought "I should just go back to my cube until she's finished walking around the hall b/c I can't remember where I was going anymore." Law school is killing my cool. I need to get a leather jacket or something.
Last thing, I found out I can use Lexis to search foreign newspapers for reviews of records and bands. I'm finding so much more out about The Elephant Kashimashi and the Polysics. It freaking rocks.

2 Comments:

Blogger La Madre said...

i love lexis. i think you should use lexis for fun not just for law stuff. you should look up stuff on everyone who has ever left a comment on your blog. wouldn't that be fun?

8:33 PM  
Blogger Daily Texican said...

yea lexis is pretty cool. it's pretty sweet how here in austin they let you use it for free at the county law library.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home