Wednesday, February 09, 2005

More music stuff

I was listening to Trash by the New York Dolls the other day...
No that was someone else.
Anyway I was listening to Trash this afternoon and I got the part where he says "How do you call your loverboy?" and I thought, "Doesn't Buck Owens do that in Love Is Strange"?
So I dig out my Buck Owens records and listen to them and sure enough he does. So the next question is "Was Buck Owens listening to the New York Dolls or were they watching Hee Haw in drug induced stupors?" apparently Buck Owens recorded Love Is Strange and released it on We're Gonna Get Together in 1970 and Trash didn't come out until the New York Dolls self titled record in 1973.
So apparently the New York Dolls were listening to Buck Owens. The next question is "Was that on purpose?" The Beatles were fans of Buck Owens and he had some cross over audience b/c he played a little rockabilly and covered songs by Chuck Berry but a bunch of cross dressing heroin addicts in the Bowery seemed like a stretch.
Buck was kind of at the height of his popularity in 1970, he released something like 9 records in the preceding 3 years. He had a slew of number one hits and he had his own television show as well as his part on Hee Haw. He was kind of hard to miss. So I'm putting Buck Owens down as a subconscious influence on the New York Dolls.
As a semi interesting side note, the acoustic red, white, and blue guitar Buck Owens played on Hee Haw was a Mosrite, which is the same brand of guitar the Ramones played. The knock offs you could by at Sears were Gibsons though, so if your hick uncle had a red, white, and blue acoustic guitar in his attic don't get too excited.
I know you all are totally fascinated by this so thanks for listening.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a little bitty baby
My momma would rock me in the cradle
In those old cotton fields of home.

One of Buck's more rockabilly inspired songs.

Buck Owens rocks, kind of?

I like that Made In Japan song.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home