Monday, January 31, 2005

Deadly Snakes

I've been kind of stressed b/c of workload adjustments and so I've been listening to more music lately. When I get stressed I like to go play with my records. I was thinking about writing up some of my favorite bands I've rediscovered in the last few days but that would take a lot of time and I didn't exactly keep track. Then I thought I should see what the top 25 songs I play on my mp3 player are and post about that but that seemed like a lot of work so I'm just going to write about one song.
The Deadly Snakes are out of Toronto. They have three records I know about, two on In The Red and one on Sympathy for the Record Industry. The first one, Love Undone, is classic fuzzed out garage rock. That's no surprise b/c of their close connection with Greg Oblivian. Somewhere between that first record and their second they toured the south. Apparently they got a hold of some great gospel records and it had a huge impact on their sound. It's the most pronounced in their latest record, Ode To Joy, but it is clearly developing on their second record, I'm Not Your Soldier Anymore.
On that second record, which caught me totally off guard when it came out, was a song called "Trigger". This song has been one of my favorite songs for the last couple of years. It has maintained a presence on my turntable and anywhere else I could play it. When the mood catches you you can listen to it over and over.
The song's overall mood hangs like a hangover of remorse. The horns stumble along trying to keep up. I imagine the Memphis Horns after a bad drunk and a bar fight trying to catch their breath when their ribs have been bruised. The lyrics tell the story of someone who regrets what they've done and can't comprehend why they did it. He didn't start out wanting to do anything wrong, he just got carried away. You can feel the guilt banging out of the drums and piano while the bass line retraces the circles of his guilty steps. At the bridge you can feel him banging his head against the wall as the guitar leads the rest of the band into the kind of low key crescendo you get when your too crudo to get out of bed. I love this song. Go order their records off of In The Red.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home