Wednesday, September 29, 2004

The Mooney Suzuki

I bought their new album about two weeks ago. I gave it repeated listenings because I believed in them. I remember the first time I saw them play and they dedicated a song to the electric guitar. They believed in Rock. I bought their first record and singles. Dear Persephone and My Love is a Gentle Whip are straight ahead rockers. Their first record, People Get Ready, is a classic, you should go buy it tomorrow.
The above reasons had me looking forward to their new record. Man was I disappointed. I've listened to it 5 times now, just to be fair. There is not a decent song on the record. Most of it is adolescent dreaming about groupies. Naked Lady is far and away the worst song. They sound like The Guess Who trying to do acid rock. It really is just awful. It also happens to be an enhanced CD. The video for NY Girls shows them decked out like rejects from a Doors cover band. This record could mistakenly be played on classic rock stations tomorrow and no one would notice. This record is destined to be overplayed by stoned short order cooks.
Now there is an MP3 blog I check out regularly called Rock N Roll in the Real World. This guy is a Mooney Suzuki fan and his music taste is generally right on. I heard about the Tokyo Sex Destruction from his blog. So instead of listening the hellacious new Mooney Suzuki record, cruise his blog, get some good downloads and find a good band like Tokyo Sex Destruction.

1 Comments:

Blogger La Madre said...

Mooney Suzuki...High School.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home