Sunday, November 20, 2005

There's Too Much Caffeine In My Blood Stream

And a lack of real spice in my life.
I've been really busy but I don't feel like I'm getting anything done. Probably b/c I'm not getting anything done. I can't figure how I do that.

Apparently my last post ended up on some blog about D.C. as a "scathing tourist report". I didn't really think that post out. Although I still think D.C. is a square town I do agree with the comment that pointed out that I only went to square parts of town. I would also like to once again mention that the first group I met was the Federalist Society.
One thing the comment made me think about was the fact that half of D.C. is this set up to cater to this wealthy transient population of university students and hill staffers while the permanent residential neighborhoods suffer. The gentrification has been nuts in the last ten years.

As to the other comment about the person who designed the WWII memorial not thinking about race, that was kind of my point. I don't think representations of white America represent all of America. The fact that black people were questioning why they were fighting to help Jews when they lived under a racist system that denied them equal protection of the law and basic rights, Mexicans were responsible for the food supply and getting cheated out of their wages or were the victims of riots, and Japanese Americans were fighting in the war (The segregated all Japanese American units, 442 Regimental Combat Team and the 100th Infantry became the most decorated military units in the history of the U.S.) while their families were in concentration camps tells me that their historical experience was significantly different than the white experience. The fact that the historical contributions of racial and ethnic minorities is ignored once again bugs me. I don't think it's all that big of a hassle for the designers of the memorial to at least recognize the most decorated unit in U.S. military history or a fighter group who sank a destroyer with only machine gun fire. But I guess that's too much to ask. I should feel my family's contributions to the American war effort are represented by the same people who cheated them out of their wages.

In a strange twist I'm the number one google hit for "pocho gay". Maybe that's not that strange.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home