Saturday, June 11, 2005

Job Hunt

I screwed up on getting a job for the summer. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal but I'm moving into the middle of June with no job. I put extra friendster friends on my resume I added "Training to be a cage fighter" under interests, and started including samples of my rice cooking skills with each cover letter. Still no jobs.
So now I'm kind of feeling angry and jilted. I'm thinking of dumb summer jobs I could do. I could go wait tables or tend bar again. I could go and pick berries, while informing workers of their rights and collecting evidence against the growers. I could go work for Walmart and do the same. There's always truck driving for Halliburton in Iraq. Blog consultant? I think some has to read your blog for that. Maybe I could be a house boy for someone studying for the bar.
I had an interview the other day and it was kind of weird. I looked up the guy on google and found out he had been disciplined by the bar. It was intentional stuff too, not the kind of thing you do on accident. He planned out and intentionally did what he did and he knew it was wrong. I felt uncomfortable about it but I took the interview b/c I need a job. I totally bombed the interview and it was kind of on purpose. He would ask me a question and I would know what kind of answer he wanted but talk about something totally different. I knew he did civil defense stuff but I emphasized my ties with plaintiff's side stuff. He looked for my experiences managing difficult people and I downplayed those experiences. He wanted to see that I had practical experience in the area he works in and I made it sound like it was a summer job. I didn't do this stuff consciously but it was sort of on purpose.
When you read Nietzsche he talks about all the masks we wear to explain the variety of our personality. I prefer Daniel Dennett's explanation that we have different areas of our conscious self that are trying to achieve different goals and sometimes act against each other. I wonder if the reason I kept saying stupid things during the interview, even as I consciously and immediately knew they were the wrong thing to say, was because an area of my self that is concerned with ethics decided to hijack the whole interview b/c that area was uncomfortable with the ethics violations I had read about.
I also wonder if Nietzsche's talk about masks, and Dennett's idea of an ununified self are types of vanity. Maybe those conceptualizations of myself make me feel like I'm deeper and more layered than I actually am.

2 Comments:

Blogger La Madre said...

does it have to be a job in oregon? why not some kind farm workers advocacy something like ABLE (http://www.ablelaw.org/)
that we have here in ohio. For example I know ABLE begs law students to come work for them during the summer/migrant farm working season...particularly looking for bilingual law students...yes they pay...so does FLOC

3:14 PM  
Blogger Daily Texican said...

You can come to Seattle and be my tutor. I start classes in 2 days. I don't pay though, but we could go eat dim sum.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home