Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Antonio versus Minute Rice

Actually it wasn't even minute rice, it's something that said "Easier than Rice A Roni" on the front of the package. I thought "Easier than Rice A Roni! That's like Britney (Does anyone ever mention that her folks spelled her name wrong or is that just a given?) Spears in Vegas! That's for me!" I have a severe rice disability. I cannot cook rice to save my life. I don't know why. Spanish rice is the second easiest thing to make in the world but I consistently screw it up, I think I've whined about this before. Anyway I bought this stuff hoping it would go good with dinner.
The only difference between this and Rice A Roni is that you don't saute the rice. Not really that much easier. You just dump everything in, stir it up, get it boiling, turn it down and walk off. The walk off part kind of caused me to forget to set the timer. I didn't actually screw it up, but I didn't exactly cook it right. It's a little soupy. Hypothetically I could cook it longer and fix the soupy part but I'm pretty sure if I tried to do that I would ruin. Does reheating it to fix the soupiness make it easier than Rice A Roni even without the sauteing?
I'm working on my resume. Do you think I can put down the number of Friendster Friends as proof that I get along well with others?

2 Comments:

Blogger La Madre said...

Antonio, have you thought of investing in a rice cooker? You really can put the water and rice in there and walk away, it will turn itself off and be plump and good.

Yes, I think you can use your friendster friends as proof you get along well with others. Maybe include some of the testimonials as references?

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel for you. I couldn't make rice to save my life. Measuring and rice cookers just made it worse... until I learned:

How to Make Rice (according to my friend Stef's Puerto Rican abuela):

1. Put rice in pot. Doesn't matter how much.
2. Add enough water to cover rice.
3. Stick your index finger in the pot so that the tip is just touching the rice.
4. Add more water until the water level is even with the first joint of your finger. Doesn't matter how long your fingers are.
5. Put lid on pot and turn on high heat until water starts to boil.
6. Then turn to heat to low. Don't take off the lid or stir or even think bad thoughts about the rice. (that last part's mine)
7. At end of 30 minutes it should be done.

This usually works, even though it really shouldn't. Good luck.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home