Monday, April 18, 2005

News that warms the heart

I came across this article the other day. A white girl was sent home for wearing cornrows. They allow black children to wear the haircut out of respect for their cultural heritage. The white kids aren't allowed to wear the hair b/c the school doesn't want street culture brought in. Well, in that case... Oh wait, that's me they're talking about.
So I got a whole bunch of stuff done this weekend. Some of it was even homework. Finals are in a couple of weeks. Now is the time to really perfect my procrastination skills.
I washed my bathtub out, scouring powder and everything. It looks great. Every time I go into the bathroom I can admire it's shiny white finish. It only took me about ten minutes though. I give this 2 stars out of four for procrastination.
I cleaned the rest of the bathroom after I did the tub. This was nice because it took a little bit longer. I also could enjoy the clean bathroom smell, Pine-Sol, all the way into the hallway. The upside of the bathroom as a whole compared to just the bathtub is that the bathroom will get dirty again in a couple days. I will still have this procrastination option open to me when finals start. 3 stars.
I removed all the shelves from my refrigerator and washed those shelves. This is a great procrastination technique b/c it reinforces the "look in the fridge every five minutes" procrastination technique. Every Time you open that door to have another Trader Joe's Jalepeno Stuffed Olive(TM) you notice how clean your fridge is. It's great. I give this one 4 stars.
I cleaned out the airhose on my vacuum cleaner. This gets 1 star. It was both nasty and scary. There was shit in there that I had no business knowing about.
I tried to decipher the whole story on The Streets' "A Grand Don't Come For Free" CD. It's pretty interesting. I like how the whole CD is a story. I was kind of unimpressed at first but now I realize it's a much more ambitious CD. I give this activity 5 stars. It takes at least 45 minutes and it's endlessly repeatable plus you can leave a word document with part of an outline open and some papers scattered around and act like your doing homework. This one is very easy to justify.
Playing with the cat is also an option. I'm not sure how viable though. Usually this last for about ten minutes and I get a nice sharp claw to the inner arm or some equally tender piece of skin. This is .25 stars.
Last is the walk up to the coffee shop. This is far and away the most enjoyable procrastination technique. It is also very justifiable. Either you need the coffee to stay awake, or to concentrate, or as a reward. You can listen to your mp3 player on the way to the coffee shop. You can also choose the coffee shop that's 2 miles away so you can sort your outline out in your head while walking there. If you went to the coffee shop around the corner you wouldn't be able to do much planning. The only problem with the coffee shop technique is that it lends itself to abuse. Too many trips to the coffee shop and you could end up with severe jitters. 4.5 stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home