Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Life is Flush

Today was a great day. First I was able to get every class I wanted to add. Second, I got another free textbook so I only had to buy one book this semester. Third I got to see a whole bunch of my friends. Fourth, I got my student loan check. Fifth and most important I got my Prop Trans grade back.
I was certain I failed Prop Trans. My final was miserable. I actually read a chapter of my text book and part of a supplement in the final. It was the shortest final I've ever written, a miserable five pages reeking of incompetence. I was humiliated taking that final. So when I got on campus today word was going around that even though grades aren't posted Prof. Prop Trans left the graded finals buy his door. I waited until after my last class, because I'm such a weenie boy coward I couldn't look at that red F until my day was over, and then picked up my final. It turns out I didn't fail at all. I actually kind of did all right. The rest of the class really must have screwed that final for the curve to work out the way it did. I'm a cowboy. I slapped a saddle on that sumbitch and rode the boy out.
I got my student loan check. It was bigger than I thought it would be by a lot. My first inclination is that someone somewhere screwed up. I'm going to check it out tomorrow, if no one screwed up I'll have extra money for tuition next year. Woohoo. My second inclination is that I have enough money that I could still pay a chunk of tuition and get a tattoo. I've got the art work all ready to go and I bumped into my artist the other day. I must be strong and fight the urge. Student loans aren't an appropriate way to finance my tattoos, especially when it's a challenge to pay rent most of the time. No tattoos, no tattoos.
Iron Chef freakin' rocked. I'm not a big fan of Bobby Flay, but it was the premier so I knew he would win. I'm glad they picked Rick Bayless. I don't like his cookbooks, Diana Kennedy's are much better. But based on that alone it still would have been hard for me to root for Flay over him. Thank god he had stupid facial hair. He had this wispy crap ass flavor savor thing going on that made it easy to totally root for Flay. Screw you Bayless, maybe you should have brought your daughter along (Bayless recently wrote a cookbook in which his daughter is a prominent figure, thus the taunt[thus I'm big freakin' geek]).
I think it will be more interesting in some respects than the Japanese version b/c I don't think Americans have as uniform a palate as the Japanese, it may not be as developed but there's a lot more variance. This will make it harder for the Iron Chefs to beat out foreign chefs. Also I think the new show will be willing to use less traditional ingredients. Buffalo is hard to cook with b/c it's so lean, it's less tender than beef, and I think that kind of imagination is going to flourish on this show. Also, Alton Brown's little video set up is sweet. The only thing I wish they did more like the Japanese version is give updates on the ingredients more often.
Anyway I'm out for the night. If you have a good reason why I shouldn't use my student loans to get a tattoo you should probably let me know. Rock on.

3 Comments:

Blogger La Madre said...

Get the tattoo. That loan money is to be used as a bet against your future, we all knw how that bet is going to turn out...get the tattoo.

10:37 AM  
Blogger La Madre said...

Get the tattoo. That loan money is to be used as a bet against your future, we all knw how that bet is going to turn out...get the tattoo.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Azu said...

Get the damn thing, yo! (I always remember how to spell damn by scratching my head and saying "dam nit")

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home