Monday, October 04, 2004

Interviewing

Well, I went to Seattle this weekend and did a bunch of interviews. It was soul crushing and my ego took a bruising, but on the good side I got to make the dumb "You know Tacoma's an old Indian word? It means pull my finger." joke. Twice. Tacoma has a paper mill and stinks for the uninitiated.
One interviewer noticed some tattoos sticking out from under my sleeve. Her face changed immediately. Another interviewer was into IP, and only IP. On the flip I'm not into IP, and know nothing about IP. I mean if I gave a rat's ass about science I would have taken it in college. I didn't, my transcript clearly shows the only science classes I took had catchy names like "Earth, Wind, and Fire, Geology for non-majors". One interviewer was kind enough to remind me how nice it was outside and that if we didn't have to do this job fair crap we could be out sailboating. I look forward to writing that thank you note.
No interviewer brought up my blawg. I don't really care, except all the cool blawgs have awkward moments during interviews b/c of their blawg. My awkward moments were solely because of my lack of qualifications.
It was nice to see the interaction between students from different schools at the job fair. While Lewis and Clark kids were really supportive of each other, and we tried to be inclusive of the other kids, shout out to Gonzaga and the Cactapple, the other schools were hyper competitive. They logged on to their laptops every two seconds to try and research the firms a little more. They jockeyed in line to sign up for blank interview slots. I like my classmates and I appreciate that we helped each other by running down between breaks and grabbing extra pantyhose for the kids with runs (runs in their pantyhose, not runs b/c they ate too many fresh apples at Pike's Farmer's Market), by lint brushing the bejesus out of each other, and tweaking ties, teasing hair, talking each other up and spilling the scoop on the personal interests of interviewers for the next guy when ever we got an insight.
I think I just broke my mutha fuckin' CD player, I'll feel y'all later. No, just fixed it.
I don't get all this competition stuff. If I'm not qualified, yeah I started this sentence with if( If the President can claim he's an optimist while there's been more than 2300 attacks in Iraq in the last 30 days I sure as hell am entitled[ BTW after the debates NPR had a thing where they talked to people in other countries to see what they thought about the debate. I didn't know they were showing it outside of the country. I was suddenly totally embarrassed. I think the emabarrassment is akin to the kid with the alcoholic father that shows up at school drunk shouting in the hallway.] to look on the bright side of my transcript.) because there's a chance, then they won't hire me. If I am qualified I'll be hired on how well I get along with them, not how I can out compete them as we work together.
That's it for me tonight, I'm hella behind because of this weekend and need to get some sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home