Sunday, January 30, 2005

The Library

Let me start off by explaining that there are two libraries. There's the real library, which is the one at school, and there is the fun library, which is the public library. The fun library severly wronged me this week. I've got a crap load of work to do and my hold on Buffy The Vampire Slayer season 7 became available. That has destroyed my productivity. The high point is that this is the last season of Buffy and so once I finish these DVDs I will be forever free of this accursed show.
The fun library, hereinafter simply "the library", somehow sensed the wrong it had done me and decided to atone. I usually walk to the library on Sundays. I get a cup of coffee at the Powells on Hawthorne, stop in at Jackpot records and harass the poor clerk about some Japanese import CD I want them to special order me, browse the cook books at Powell's cookbook store, and wander around until I get to the library. Once there I dig through the DVDs and longingly look at the new books.
A couple weeks ago I saw a very beautiful woman studying while I was browsing the cookbooks, btw if anyone has any suggestions I'm looking for a good cookbook on crockpots. She looks a little punk rock, maybe rockabilly, with tattoos and piercings and Chuck Taylors. Last week she was there again and so I looked at what she was studying, chemistry and anatomy. I thought that looks promising, kind of punk and smart enough to be going to school, maybe med school or nursing school. I decided to come back this week and bring some homework and maybe try to strike up a conversation without being creepy.
I got a better look at what she was studying and it turns out that she is in school for mortuary sciences. I had done a little research on various regulations regarding education ciriculum over this summer and I knew one of about 20 schools in the U.S. was here in Portland. So I asked her if she went to the school and started up a conversation. It was a little creepy, but that seems to be right up her alley. I think it went well and all is well with the library's karmic balance.
Now the question dawns on me, Is the fact that I'm kind of turned on because she goes to mortician school mean I'm maladjusted? It's not that I think the corpses are hot, it's that I think she's going to dance to her own beat. I kind of assume that most morticians are men and this seems like a very self confident kind of thing to study.
Occasionally I see polls or studies that show that men are attracted to women in certain professions. I always thought they were bullshit. If your hot I'm interested, and if your new wave I'm single, who cares where you work. But now I know certain professions are more attractive than others.
Now I'm off, I've got to hit the record store to see if I can find a Console CD before Iron Chef America. I'm not sure who I'm rooting for. This Ming Tsai guy sells a bunch of crap at Target. If he's obnoxious or Target gets mentioned I'm rooting for Flay again. Rock On.

2 Comments:

Blogger La Madre said...

i believe most morticans are men. and mortuary science is totally hot. it is really cool stuff, you should glance through some of her books if you get the chance.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Julio Sueco said...

Ah pinche pocho cabron, if you had a nickle for every laugh you janked out of me you'd have enough for a trip to Japan man...Saludos desde Suecia homes!

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home