Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Bumpershoot

I went to Bumpershoot Sunday night and I got to see the Pixies. I never got the chance to see them and this was a wonderful experience. They played a set heavy on Doolittle, but with favorites like Caribou. It was in a big football field. The venue detracted from the intimacy and connection with the band, but the fact that they packed a football field was a wonderful tribute.
There were tons of people in the old farts section with their kids. It's really cool that these parents took their kids to this show. The parents are trying to share one of the most important parts of their development as a person with their kids. That beats the hell out of buying them an Xbox in my book.
If the Pixies are coming through your town on tour and you can't decide whether to see them or not just go. I wasn't too hot on seeing them when their tour first got publicized, a bunch of old fuckers trying to rip me off with a reunion tour, but I started to think that if I missed I'd never get the chance to see them again. I went and wasn't disappointed at all.
The only complaint I had about the show was that over the years of listening to the Pixies their sound had become very wooden in my mind. It didn't allow for change. At the live show they changed it up to make it interesting and it kind of jarred with my perception of their music. It took a few songs for me to loosen up and listen to the music as they played it instead of how I wanted to hear it.
I'm very tired now and I think I'm going to sleep for about 12 hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home