Saturday, June 26, 2004

Punk Rock Show

I went and saw a couple bands last night. The local punk dive isn't charging a cover and they sell Pabst pounders for a buck-'n-a-half. The first band was The Sweethearts from Austin. They were a good little pop-garage outfit, think Bobby Teens but mostly guys and notch up on the bubblegum. The've got a record out on Mortville and they're a lot of fun with plenty of Oo Oo Oos and Na Na Nas. The lead singer is also wicked cute.
The second band was The Straight Jackets. They did a passable Stitches style gig. First, I don't dislike the Stitches, I think they do a decent '77 kind of deal, but I do not understand why there are any, let alone so many, Stitches clones. The Blanks were more interesting, but if you really dig the Stitches why wouldn't you just go back and do more of a Sex Pistols style thing? There really only needs to be one Stitches band, of course people say that about the Ramones and I love Ramones clones.
Second the band tried to be political and it was just funny. The bassist was so worked up about George Bush he threatened to, hold your breath now, Vote. "Man, that George Bush is a real piece of shit. I mean he makes me want to go out and Vote!" Now that's a band with a principled stand, watch out George.
To sum up, my back is strong, go see The Sweethearts, hang out for The Straight Jackets unless you have somewhere to be or there's a cooler bar somewhere else.

1 Comments:

Blogger Yawn said...

That wasn't our beloved Tacoland was it? No it wasn't...wishful thinking on my part. (I'm usually too drunk to catch the band and hang out with the homeless outside.)

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home