Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Rankings

Alright, since I'm already kind of screwed on the homework load I'll put in on this rankings discussion/whine-a-thon that's going on. I kind of choose law school based on not wanting to leave Portland. I know that's not the best reason, but it worked out for me. I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking at the rankings. My school was ranked 69th and this year we dropped to 77th. That's a pretty decent hit and I'm not happy about it, but it's not the end of my world. What really bothers me about the rankings is that some of the schools that accepted me went up. Some of the ones that accepted me and offered me money went up. Of course, the fact that the schools that accepted me but I didn't go to went up, while the school that I did go to went down is a pretty big finger pointing in my direction. I wonder if I could be to blame, just my presence is enough to knock our school down the USNWR rankings. I've heard the line that Chicanos can hurt property values, but this is a new one. It's kind of like salt in the wound, or maybe like water on a cat scratch. It's annoying, and I think they should stop doing rankings of law schools until at least two years after I've graduated and secured a job.
Only sort of related, someone was complaining about the drop in the rankings and another student made the knee jerk response that rankings don't matter, and that everyone went down anyway. On the rankings don't matter thing, that's true and that's why we, and everyone else in the whole world, checked the rankings. It's like a David Letterman top ten list for lawyers, but funny. And those moron's at Yale buy it every year. Yeah, they're number one, they don't even get grades. The rest of the law community goes around snorting behind their backs. On the everyone went down thing, I was surprised to find that this was also true. Everyone went down in the rankings. The rankings now actually start at Yale which only ranked number 7. There are only 4 top ten schools.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home