Friday, March 26, 2004

Chinatown

The Old Lady and I were walking around Vancouver; we visited Gastown, Chinatown, Yaletown, and Spooky Ass Cracktown. In Chinatown we saw a tank with live Alaskan King Crabs, a big octopus, and a lot of shops that sold mysterious dried stuff. You could make out the dried mushrooms, squids, and fish, but some of the stuff was completely unknown to me.
The best thing we saw was a huge fight between two proprietors of mysterious dried stuff shops. They were out on the street screaming at each other at the top of their lungs. We could hear them blocks away after we passed. You could tell that the community was close knit. Everyone else was on the curb watching the fight and calling their friends on the cell phones to tell them about the drama.
This may seem like a bit of schadenfreude but I think it was a good example of how the law community in Oregon is. It’s small and if you do anything wrong it’ll get around fast. I can imagine coming across someone from my class in the bar bulletin’s discipline section. It would take me about three seconds to be on the phone to my friends to tell them. I figure within four hours we would have gossiped to everyone in our class. Word will spread fast, especially among the more competitive set. We'll all be out on the curb airing the dirty laundry.
So kids keep your noses clean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home