Saturday, March 27, 2004

Trying to work on Fridays

Bekah at Mixtape Marathon has a post on trying to get stuff done on Fridays. I'm an especially bad procrastinator, it is now Saturday around 5 in the afternoon and I have yet to even look at the brief I'm revising. Spring break was this week and I haven't done one thing that's school related, unless maybe if I count my run in with the Customs agent at the border as an experiment in the border exemption to the 4th Amendment. Anyway I realized a long time ago, I'm thinking first week of September, that I never get anything done on Friday afternoon so it's not even worth trying. I try on Saturday now, and generally I fail until Sunday night around 9pm or Monday morning around 9:30 AM.
So my advice to anyone trying to get stuff done on a Friday when they could be going to a crawfish boil is to call it a day, but only on the condition you'll wake up early tomorrow. Then go out to the crawfish boil and have a couple beers, but don't really eat because you feel too busy to eat because you didn't do all the work you meant to do today and you're going to leave in a minute anyway so you can get to sleep early. Drink a few more beers, eat a baguette and have a couple more beers. Fend off offers to go to the new bar that has those really good kiwi daiquiris because you have to wake up early tomorrow to get some stuff done. Drink another beer and cave in. After the bar with the daiquiris go sing Karaoke until you croon a fine version of "Me and Mrs. Jones" and are asked to leave. At that point go home to sleep. Before you sleep set your alarm clock for 7AM because you need to wake up early to get stuff done. Notice that it's currently 4AM but dismiss it because you used to do this all the time in undergrad and it never really affected you. Drink a big glass of water and hit the sack with most of your clothes on. Wake up cursing to the sound of news on NPR at some ungodly early hour. Ask what freakin' idiot left the alarm clock set at seven until you remember that you were going to get some work done. Decide it's not worth waking up right now because you wouldn't do any work anyway and shut the alarm clock off and wake up at noon. That's my advice, and not because that's what I did this weekend and want everyone to be in the same boat.
Also don't cruise blawgs all afternoon before you "start to work", run across something you think is kind of funny and then spend ten minutes posting about it, which will remind you that there was one other thing you wanted to post about. Then finally getting to your brief, but not until you've done the Universal Crossword and made plans to see the Charlie Kauffman movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home