Monday, April 12, 2004

I went to a show

I went to a show tonight and I had a decent time. This used to be a common thing, not some rare occasion where I have to think back to the last time it happened. That's how it is now. The last show I saw was in November, I think. It may sound whiney, but it is really hard for me not to see at least one show a week, right now I'm at one show every 5 months.
I used Rock N Roll to create my identity. I still rely on it. I crave Rock N Roll, I sit in my classes and listen to my music in my head, I think about much better the Dirtbombs cover of Underdog is than the original by Sly. I think about how cool 12 string slide guitar is, how much Blind Willie McTell created Jack White. I want to be Rock N Roll's dog. Now I spend more time studying, without music. I talk to fellow law students, not band members. I visit the library, not my record dealer. My lawschool friends, who have replaced almost all my other friends due to time constraints, don't listen to Rock N Roll. Most of them don't even seem to care about music. They don't drool at record stores, 10 pages of reading are more important than any band. This has been one of the most isolating aspects of law school for me.
So tonight I went to see one of my favorite bands. I went by myself. I expected to, I used to do it all the time when I was a teenager in Utah, there were no punkers there at that time. So once again I sat by myself drinking shit beer and listened to great Rock N Roll. It felt really good, the last two weeks of lawschool already seem lighter.
I saw the Riverboat Gamblers. Their sound is kind of a Kiss infused Jan and Dean kicked in the ass. They played a good set to a small audience on Easter Sunday. They were lively, with anthemic lyrics and a powerful, charging guitar sound. I love the call style lyrics, with enough referencing of classic blues to let you know they've done their homework. It is sound and solid Rock N Roll. My only complaint is with the soundman. This music deserves to be loud, it deserves to shatter eardrums, to shake windows, and spontaneously combust. It should not be subued enough to allow a conversation. When the Riverboat Gamblers let their music loose it should crash in waves over the audience. The soundman failed to understand this. The Riverboat Gamblers still rocked, and anyone half serious about Rock N Roll needs to own their entire catalogue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home