Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Battlestar Galactica

Multnomah County, which is the county that Portland is in, has a great library. It is easily the best library of any city I have ever lived in. The DVDs of the entire Battlestar Galactica television series are available and I checked them out. I did this partly out of some nostalgia and partly to show my old lady, who finally said I could look at her blog, what the original show was like. We watched the piece of crap remake with Edward James Olmos and I was sorely disappointed. She couldn't understand why. Anyway in an effort to educate her on the virtues of crappy late 70's sci-fi television I checked it out.
The clerk at the library laughed while I was checking it out and warned me that it was "a really bad piece of crap". Although this is true, I think he, along with my old lady, missed the point. At the time this was so cool. Star Wars had created an insatiable appetite in me, and pretty much every boy my age I knew, for spaceships in dog fights. We would reenact epic dogfights against the cylons from our cardboard vipers. My cousin and I would argue over who got to be Starbuck at least once a week. Some of the most brutal fights me and my cousin ever got into were over who got to be Starbuck. I was deadset on being Starbuck and if that meant punching my cousin in the stomach or hitting him with my big wheel, then so be it.
On a side note, a friend told me that the Battlestar Galactica was funded by the Mormons, or LDS as they now like to be called. After watching half the pilot I think it's possible. I lived in Salt Lake City for about 8 years and learned a fair amount about the LDS and it does kind of synch up.
Anyway, I'm reliving my misspent youth by watching a crappy sci-fi show full of Mormon propaganda. I'm also not going to check this post for TRAC. Swear to God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home