Thursday, December 28, 2006

I've gone to two movies recently that had, what I felt to be, significant errors. First was Apocalypto. There was a solar eclipse and the Mayans became scared and shocked. This bugs me because the Mayans were expert astronomers and were able to predict eclipses. This information might not have been widely known by your average lay person but the priest class definitely knew about it. The formula or method for calculating and predicting eclipses was found in the Dresden Codex.
So the Mayans weren't bumbling superstitious fools when it came to predicting astronomical events. I understand it was a nice dramatic touch but they should have been able to find something else, like a jaguar Steele collapsing or something.

Second, I took my young cousins to see Night At The Museum. Attila the Hun wasn’t Asian. He was a Hun, modern day Germans. That’s why we called Germans "Huns" during both World Wars. I think who ever wrote the movie didn’t know the difference between Attila the Hun and Ghengis Khan and apparently didn’t know shit about 20th Century history. This bugs me only b/c the movie is about a history museum and there were some minor mouth service to learning history. They should have done some basics. Other than that it’s acceptable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home