Sunday, July 10, 2005

Powells and the Germs

I went to Powell's this morning to get some coffee and look for a book for my friend. I love Powell's and try not to bother the people that work there too much. I once worked in a library and know how annoying some people can be. They will ask you for "The book with the blue cover, it's about biology", without bothering to even check the catalog. Anyway I had to ask the worst question you can ask a person who works at a book store. "I heard this guy on NPR about a year ago and I can't remember the name of the book but..." As I asked I could see their eyes rolling in their head. Before I finished one clerk jokingly said "We don't have that book." But they were great about it. I told them everything that I could remember about the book and they all remembered it faintly too. There ended up being about 7 people trying to find the book. They all now share my frustration of almost being able to remember the title. It'll drive us crazy.
Powell's has one of those wonderful signs that tell you how many days until the new Harry Potter book comes out. 6 Days! I have to work that Saturday but not Sunday. I'll probably be able to start reading a couple hours before work, pick it up after work and read through the night and be done by the next afternoon. It's a sickness really but I must read it, and read it all at once.
I stopped by the record store on my way to Powell's to pick up the Talkdemonic cd. There's some good MP3s of the band at 3Hive. They had a used copy of the Germs' MIA cd. My copy disappeared a while ago and the CD isn't really good enough to buy new again but many of the songs are fundamental to an understanding of the 1981 LA punk scene, which is fundamental to an understanding of any music after 1984. So the CD is once again in my collection and I now can rest easy at night. It will also facilitate rolling on the ground and mumbling to myself for those nights when I need to be "punk as fuck" but don't feel like listening to Blatz.

1 Comments:

Blogger Daily Texican said...

Both of you are nerds.

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home