Monday, June 14, 2004

Random Updates

Yesterday's post sounds kind of bitter, I didn't mean it to sound that way. I guess what I was trying to focus on is that the big firms have a lot of perks, but the image they project is that it is not much fun to work there. Most of the attorneys I meet reinforce that. Then clients get charged for these perks, to make the work bearable, instead of letting everyone have a few more hours off a week and lowering the hourly. Nothing is that simple in the real world, if it was firms would already be doing it. And some people are only motivated to wake up and go to work every morning by a paycheck.
Anyway, in other news, grades finally came out. I might go out and have a beer. I didn't do good enough to merit celebrating but I didn't do bad enough to deserve to go out and blow off some steam. I didn't flunk my Civ Pro exam, which really surprised me and doesn't speak well on how bad the rest of the class did on that exam.
If you get a chance point your browser over to Elena Mary's blog. She calls herself Mirish. Coincidentally I may also have a large amount of Irish on my mom's side of the family. Half the family happily admits it, the other half deny it up and down but then slug away the Jameson's like it was Kool Aid. The only substantial evidence I have are two spots of bright red hair in my otherwise jet black beard.
She asked me to expound more on what I learned about bathrooms. Basically it depends on what state you live in and how much OSHA that state has adopted. Generally there will be requirements of X number of toilets to Y people. Oregon has a little chart, it's roughly 1 to 20, but gets more complicated if there's a significant number of women. There needs to be toilet paper and water and soap to wash your hands. That alcohol gel stuff is not an acceptable substitute for soap and water. Soap and water are necessary to wash off pesticide residue. There also has to be potable water and individual drinking cups, those little paper cones will work. The bathrooms have to be reasonably accessible, within a 15 minute walk, and you have the right to use the restrooms frequently to urinate. They can't make you wait until your ten minute break every four hours. Fascinating, I know, there's more on how often they have to be emptied and so on, but I'm done regaling you with tales of OR-OSHA toilet statutes for tonight.
Finally, I heard from my friend P who moved to Boston recently. She hasn't seen a New Kid on the Block, nor shared a bucket of Chivas with a Kennedy, but she has seen two drunken Irish men get in a fight in Dorchester Heights. Keep livin' the dream P.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home