Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Paycheck

To quote the Motards "I need a paycheck." Not too deep, but neither were the Motards. I got an email saying I'd get my first paycheck on Wednesday. I got excited and ran to the kitchen. I counted out the packets of Ramen and Totinos pizzas (Totinos. Toxic but Tasty!) I've got enough to make it.
I'm excited because this is the first paycheck I'll have earned in about a year. I get to reenter the world of grownups. The most stressful and distressing aspect of law school was the lack of a job. You're a total leech for a year, you don't contribute to anything and live off the state/parents/loans.
Everyone kept telling me, "Don't get a job, it'll take up too much of your time." I don't think it would have mattered as far as time for studying. It might have been a little stressful when a memo was due, but it would have made me feel better about myself. I would have been happier knowing I could pay my own rent and feed myself.
I've got to say the most important thing I'm taking away from my first year of law school is that I don't like not working. I don't count school as real work and I'll never not have a job again if I can help it.

PS Can anyone think of any other rap songs from the early 90s that talked about body odor? I can remember Biz Markie's Dragon and De La Soul's Little Bit of Soap.

1 Comments:

Blogger Antonio said...

I was reminded by a thoughtful reader, apparently I have a couple, of High Plains Drifter by the Beastie Boys. "Put me in the tank with a drunk called Otis, with his five o'clock shadow he smelled of three day old beer"

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home