Friday, May 25, 2007

A lot of fancy lawyers look down on my '06 bar number. They look at it and think "I'll steam roll this guy" and then don't do their prep work.

Last week I got to sit in Judges chambers and hand Opposing Counsel my finished paperwork. The Judge got to hear him apologize for not finishing his on time. I got to stare at the wall and not smirk while the Judge lectured him. And I got to thank the Judge while he made a comment about how much he appreciated how hard my client was working and that my client must really love his children.

This happens a lot. Almost every week. I love it, even when the attorney calls and screams at me later. At that point he can't intimidate me, even if he is charging his client 5X the amount I charge, because I know that shouting sound is desperation and fear. I'm gonna beat him and he knows it.

He knows he's going to lose to an '06, a lawyer with 4 months experience, a lawyer that he told his client he would mop the floor with, and it's only been the first hearing.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rock on.

Arrogance will get you no where in life. Way to show 'em.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats thats cool. And yeah I will say a great feeling.

btw- my mom says that - "mopping the floors" do you say that normally?

Zee Diaz

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said it. Nothing like being prepared and taking your responsibility seriously. I'll add my congrats. Way to be a good lawyer!

10:43 AM  
Blogger cindylu said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:57 PM  
Blogger cindylu said...

That rocks!

Does your bar number have the year you passed the bar in it? I'm assuming so. Anyway, keep being a great lawyer.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bar numbers are usually issued sequentially, so as a general rule, the higher the number, the less experienced the lawyer. Often it's possible to estimate the year of bar admission just by looking at the number.

Two potential pitfalls:

1) Sometimes a lawyer will join the bar in a second (or third, or fourth, etc.) state several years after her first bar admission. For example, my bar number in the state where I currently live and practice corresponds with being admitted here in 2005. But, my first bar admission was in 2002, back in the state where I attended law school and practiced for a few years after graduation.

2) In states where bar numbers were first assigned within the last few decades, there are plenty of lawyers who were already admitted when they started issuing the numbers. It's not clear to me whether these lawyers were assigned numbers randomly, alphabetically, or by seniority. (I do know that when my state first issued bar numbers, the lowest numbers were given as something of an honor to prominent lawyers.)

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home