Thursday, February 05, 2004

Federalism

I was reading CrimPro, actually I was goofing off on the internet but they look the same from the front of the classroom, and I came across this article explaining that Iraqis don't really understand the concept of federalism. It's understandable why, it's not exactly an easy topic. I think that the average American probably doesn't understand federalism, and after getting my grade back in ConLaw I wonder how well I understand it.
Then I got a visit from the Irony Fairy and came across this article on Fark. It seems that the President doesn't have that great of a grasp on federalism either. Marriage has traditionally been a state power, that's why states were able to ban interracial marriages and sodomy between a married couple and the Feds couldn't do anything about it. It's not the Fed's area to legislate. For a group of people who want to limit federal meddling in state affairs they're doing a crappy job.
Also on Unbillable Hours he talks a little about it in terms of how much money legal gay marriage would save state courts. After taking property I understand how much more complicated a will would get in a state that doesn't recognize gay marriage. Another blog I recently came across talked about an attempt by estate planners to limit their liability for negligence because the writing of wills is so complicated. Gay marriage basically makes sense and if a state wants to legalize it then that is their traditional right and the Feds should stay out of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home